Here are fun facts about the Capy May-Lewes Ferry, the popular sea based transportation option.
- The Cape May-Lewes Ferry began operations on July 1, 1964. The ferry was established as a joint venture between the Delaware River and Bay Authority (DRBA) and the Cape May County Bridge Commission.
- The ferry provides a 17-mile shortcut across the Delaware Bay.
- Passengers can enjoy panoramic views of the bay during the 85 minute journey.
- The ferry can transport cars, motorcycles, bicycles, and even RVs. Bikes can be transported without an additional fee.
- Over 1 million passengers traveling on the ferry annually
- The ferry is the starting line for the annual Escape the Cape Triathlon and offer a one of a kind 12 ft jump off the Cape May-Lewes Ferry to start the race.
- The wake of the ferry even attracts the surf community. Keep an eye out for local surfer Ben Gravy catching a ride!