Learn about the essential ocean safety tips to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience in Wildwood, New Jersey.
When swimming in the ocean, it is crucial to follow these recommendations:
- Swim near lifeguard stations and obey their instructions.
- Avoid swimming alone and always have a buddy system.
- Never swim under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Respect your limits and be aware of your swimming abilities.
- Be cautious of rip currents and learn how to identify and escape them.
Protect yourself from the sun's harmful rays by following these sun safety guidelines:
- Apply and regularly reapply sunscreen with a high SPF, even on cloudy days.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, and protective clothing.
- Seek shade during the peak sun hours (10 am to 4 pm).
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Take breaks from the sun to avoid overexposure.
Ensure your safety on the beach with these recommended practices:
- Respect all posted signs and warnings.
- Stay off sand dunes to preserve their ecosystem and prevent erosion.
- Dispose of trash properly and keep the beach clean.
- Use designated walkways and avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Secure your belongings and never leave valuables unattended.
Boating and Water Sports
If you are engaging in boating or water sports, consider these safety measures:
- Follow all boating regulations and requirements.
- Wear appropriate life jackets and safety gear.
- Check weather conditions before heading out on the water.
- Inform someone about your plans and estimated return time.
- Be mindful of other watercraft and respect their right of way.
Know what to do in case of an emergency:
- If you see someone in distress, alert a lifeguard or call emergency services.
- Learn CPR and basic water rescue techniques.
- Teach children about water safety and establish clear rules.
- Stay calm and follow instructions during any emergency situation.